Friday, January 14, 2011

No Water, Yes Ukeleles

In Akiak sometimes things go badly. Yesterday a leak in a water main drained the cities water supply. Water was off for a day. School was cancelled. Water service has been returned, but as always when the lines have been empty, there is silt in the water. Bath water is brown. Marlowe drinks it anyway. He loves to eat shaving cream, scarf dogfood, and drink bath water. Today, he peed on his potty for the first time. Yay!

Back to the water. It is growing clearer now, but some houses are still with out water, due to subsequent freezing of the pipes. Anyway at least we have water.

The extended day is not as cool as I thought. I do not have enough guitars to teach the class, I have to keep my class the whole time, and there is no time for collaboration. I feel this last is the greatest loss. I really wanted to collaborate with Mrs. Jackson our Yupik teacher. I feel like it is just less time I get to spend with my family and the benefit to the kids isn't being fully realized. Lame. My plan-b is to put in a purchase order for a class set of ukeleles (pronounced oo-koo-le-le). I think I can teach this as easy as guitar and storage will be much smaller. Space is a real issue in our school. It is small, and teacher's weird ideas pile up unused in every closet. This is my fear about the ukes. Will it be another dust collector? If I ever leave. Hmm hard to know.

No comments: