Saturday, January 1, 2011

Update too Late

How many people have reached this point in their blog. Where you realize you haven't posted in a year. I may go an back date some entries. I even had to change the name of the blog because it is now my second year teaching.

Last years class is up to its shenanigans with a new teacher. She is doing well with most of them. What did I impart to them? High test scores in general. They love reading. Even the ones who refused to pick up a book until the middle of the year. They really like books. I think I just gave them the time they need to try books. I read a lot of good books to them. Little House in the Big Woods. The Graveyard Book. A Series of Unfortunate Events. Wizard of Oz.

This year's have been tough. Two kids in particular are troubled. I thought this year would be easier emotionally, but the truth is knowing more about the tragedies of my students' families, makes it harder.

I've had some successes with a lot of help. One was a Curriculum Night that I planned. Attendance was poor, but that is the time of year. It was October which is hunting season. We had an all elementary Family Math Night and we had over 70 people attend. Kids spent time with their parents playing number and math games. It was really fantastic.

Failures: I intended to do a genealogy project with the kids and it really bombed. Parent involvement is less than I hoped, my fault mainly.

What is upcoming? Arlicaq is going on an extended day schedule and I will be teaching guitar lessons. I am going to try to work with our Yupik teacher to incorporate Yupik lyrics into the performance based class. Additionally I an going to try to begin a tradition of district-wide spring science fair. These kids don't even know what a science fair is. So unfair.

1 comment:

Riley said...

I loved the graveyard book!!!